The British Columbia Christian Secondary School Athletic Association is pleased to inform our participating schools of the Luke Van Harmelen Memorial Scholarship.
Luke, our first president, was taken home to our Lord a number of years ago after struggling with cancer. His wife Sandy and family endorse our initiative as Christian coaches in the establishment of this program.
Two Luke Van Harmelen Memorial Scholarships valued at $1000 each will be awarded to students who best combine the qualifications set out in our guidelines.
To be eligible for this scholarship, a student must be:
(1) a registered grade twelve student at a member Christian Senior Secondary School
(2) planning to attend a designated post-secondary education institution on a full time basis
Applicants must show evidence of:
(2) Leadership and character
(3) Scholastic achievement and goals (a minimum average of C+ is mandatory in order for the application to be considered)
(4)School, community, and church participation
(5)Completeness and quality of application
HOW TO APPLY
(1) Applicants must complete the online form and submit it
(2) Applicants must write a personal letter of application and email or mail it to the current secretary/treasurer of the association. The letter of application must outline athletic and scholastic achievements in grades eleven and twelve only, educational goals, and school, community and church activities in which the applicant has participated. It should be typewritten on 8 X 11 inch paper and should be limited to no more than TWO pages.
(3) Applicants must get their athletic director and an administrator (Vice Principal or Principal) to complete the online reference sheets.
(4) The following items need to be completed and emailed or sent to the secretary/treasurer of the association. The current secretary/treasurer of the association can be found in the footer of this website.
-a current transcript
-from the principal, a priority ranking of candidates if more than one is applying from the same school. (Please realize that this component is not a critical factor in the review process)
(5) The application must include a 2” X 3” (minimum) photo which should be sent in with the student’s application. This can be scanned and emailed in to the secretary/treasurer or mailed in.
Applicants will be reviewed by a selection committee appointed by the BCCSSAA Governing Committee by JUNE 14.
Note: Academic Work Load
Successful Luke Van Harmelen Memorial Scholarship applicants will received a letter informing them of their award. Upon confirmation of the registration at a designated post-secondary educational institution, the scholarship money will be sent to the institution.
Luke Van Harmelen Memorial Scholarship winners may defer receipt of their awards for a period of no longer than one academic year; however, deferment requests must be submitted in writing and include an explanation.
DATE OF SUBMISSION
All applications and supporting letters must be RECEIVED no later than JUNE 1 of the current year and be addressed to the current secretary/treasurer of the association. For the name and address of the current secretary/treasurer, ask your school’s athletic director or look here on our website (in the footer).